Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Even though we’re well into Spring, there’s still plenty of room for hot soup on the menu. But not just any soup; I’m giving you the recipe for a creamy tomato soup that you can slurp by the bowlful or sip by the mugful. Vegetable-based soups are the perfect choice for those times when you’re trying super hard to stick to your meal plan, but are SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW and want something heartier and more satisfying than a fistful of cold celery sticks. This luscious tomato soup can be in your belly in approximately 1/2 an hour–if your chopping skills are good!
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tbs avocado or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- (1) 28 oz. can whole plum tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock (or use chicken bone broth for extra protein)
- 1/3 cup Fage plain Greek yogurt; 2% or Total
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1 tsp dried tarragon)
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Add the oil to a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft; about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the entire can of tomatoes, plus juice. Break the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring the pot to boil; immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes,
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender directly in the pot. (You can also use a blender to blend the soup in batches)
- Stir in the yogurt and tarragon. Taste and adjust the salt & pepper if needed. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Serve hot!
Photograph via Pinterest