Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Sheet-pan meals continue to be a fantastic way to get a quick veggie-packed, low-carb meal on the table–with leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch!
Today’s variation features pre-cooked chicken sausage, which is availabe in range of flavors. I’m using Italian chicken sausages for this recipe, but free free to substitute other flavors, and swap in other veggies that will complement the seasonings in a particular sausage.
Important: Always use precooked sausages, or cook them before adding them to the vegetables. The oven cooking time listed is not long enough to safely and thoroughly cook raw sausages!
Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage & Vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper; cored, seeded, and cut into strips or chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper;cored, seeded, and cut into strips or chunks
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 small red onion; peeled and cut into 1/4″ wedges from root to stem
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tbs olive oil
- 5 mild or hot pre-cooked Italian chicken sausages, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place all of the vegetables into a very large bowl. Add the garlic and olive oil; then add the onion powder, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat well.
- Add the sausage rounds to the vegetables and stir well one last time.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the prepared sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss ingredients well; return pan to oven for another 10-15 minutes until veggie are tender but still retain some crunch.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Notes: As always you can swap in any other vegetables. For harder vegetables such carrots and broccoli, you may want to lower the cooking temperature to 400° F and cook for 10 extra minutes to ensure doneness.
Photograph via Pinterest