Hey, What’s Cookin’?
A great way to save time on meal prep is to cook up extra servings of protein at one meal, so you’ve already got the protein ready to go for a different meal! For example, if you are grilling flank steak for tonight’s dinner, grill up several extra servings so that you can enjoy it in another meal later in the week.
Today’s recipe is a great way to incorporate some planned-over grilled chicken. It’s a chicken salad, packed with fresh vegetables, that’s hearty enough for either lunch or dinner. What makes this chicken salad extra special is a balsamic vinaigrette with capers that provides an unusually delicious layer of flavor.
Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and finely chopped
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Refrigerate dressing until ready to use. Refrigerate any leftover dressing as well.
- 3 cups already grilled chicken, cut up
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (or any dark salad green of your choice, such as baby kale)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- In a large bowl toss the chicken, romaine lettuce, onion, tomatoes, celery, and cucumber.
- Add dressing to taste and toss until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate dressed salad for 30 minutes before serving, allowing flavors to meld.