Hey, What’s Cookin’?
This fresh, crunchy salad will make a pleasant change of pace from your usual cooked side dishes. Ripe cherry tomatoes, corn, and cucumbers mingle with fresh basil and basic seasonings to turn humble vegetables into a family favorite. Since it’s summer, you’ll want to use fresh corn–it makes all the difference! In winter you can use frozen corn.
Tomato Corn Salad
Adapted from: various recipes on the internet
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or natural sugar substitute equivalent)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 medium ears of sweet corn; cooked for 3 minutes in boiling water and cooled
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups cucumber; chopped, seeded & peeled
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the basil, oil, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Shake well.
- Take each ear of corn and stand it on end in a shallow bowl, Using a sharp knife, slice a strip of kernels off the cob. Rotate the cob and continue slicing off strips of kernels until the cob is free of kernels.
- In a large bowl, combine one cup of the corn kernels with the onions, tomatoes and cucumber. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Photograph via Pinterest