Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Tomato & Onion Casserole is a simple but tasty vegetable side dish that goes well with any meat, poultry, fish, or plant protein. It is easy to pull together and is a great way to make the most of those precious, late-summer local tomatoes!
Tomato & Onion Casserole
Adapted from: various internet recipes
- 4 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large or 2 medium red onions (about 1 pound), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange the tomato & onion slices in rows, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with garlic, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until tomatoes are lightly browned and onions are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes: You might want to serve these over some mashed cauliflower to soak up the delicious tomato juices!
Photograph via goldenlife