Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Here’s a recipe for flour-free muffins that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, they’ll provide you with a nice dose of protein.
Chocolate Protein Muffins
Adapted from: various internet recipes
Serving Size: 1 muffin
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla cashew milk (or almond or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or use the sweetening equivalent of stevia or another sugar substitute)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)**
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (whey or plant-based)
- 3 cups old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin with safflower or coconut oil, or insert paper liners.
- In a large bowl, add bananas and mash well with a fork. Add cashew milk, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla; stir until well mixed. Stir in egg whites.
- Add protein powder, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin tin, filling tins to the top (you may have extra batter for more muffins). Bake for 25 minutes on a rack in the center of the oven.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack until muffins have cooled enough to touch. Remove muffins from pan and place on rack until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Note: **To make these muffins vegan, use plant-based protein powder and replace the egg whites with chia eggs. To make chia eggs, add 2 tbs chia seeds and 6 tbs water to a small bowl; stir until well blended. Allow chia egg mixture to sit for 5 minutes before adding to other ingredients.
Photograph via pinterest