Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Sheet pan cooking, as in today’s recipe “Sheet Pan Lemon Pepper Chicken,” is all the rage these days–and for good reason! It is a great method to get a meal on the table without spending a ton of time in the kitchen. The cooking is done in a hot oven on a sheet pan (obviously) that is lined with foil so that cleanup is a breeze. Cook and prep times are typically very low—meaning you can feed yourself or your hungry family quickly—making them perfect for a weeknight meal. A sheet pan meal consists of a protein (chicken, beef, pork, seafood, plant-based) with one or more veggies that are roasted to perfection–we are talking healthy and delicious in an endless number of combinations! Sheet pan meals are a great method for meal prepping with minimal work.
You’ll notice that today’s recipe makes use of olive oil cooking spray. This is a great kitchen staple that speeds up your prep time and keeps the oil to a reasonable level (less oil for cooking means you could enjoy a teaspoon of pastured butter on the beans!). Always buy organic olive oil cooking spray to ensure the best quality. And do NOT use the stuff that rhymes with “spam”—it has too many additives to make it a good choice!
Also new to our cooking is lemon pepper seasoning; a combination of dried lemon zest and black pepper that adds a nice zip to the chicken. It’s also terrific on fish and sauteed/steamed veggies, so it’s going to be a very useful addition to your spice rack!
Sheet Pan Lemon Pepper Chicken
Adapted from: a recipe from savoryonline
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbs lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, scrubbed, trimmed, and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 (12 oz) bag fresh green beans, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly coat the foil with cooking spray.
- In a small dish, mix the lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, & salt.
- Place the chicken on one end of baking sheet and rub all over with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the sweet potatoe chunks next to the chicken. Lightly coat both chicken and sweet potatoes with the olive oil spray. Lightly sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 min.
- Push sweet potatoes to the opposite side of pan. Arrange the green beans in center of baking sheet. Coat with olive oil spray and lightly sprinkle with with salt and pepper. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 min, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- If you don’t have a large sheet pan, use two smaller ones; one for the chicken & potatoes and one for the green beans.
- Looking for more veggies? A salad of fresh greens with cherry tomatoes and chopped red onion would go well with this meal!
Photograph via savoryonline