Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Classic Lemon Chicken is a ‘classic’ dish for a good reason! It combines chicken, butter, and lemon together in a sauteed dish that is incredibly flavorful. It’s also a quick-cooking skillet dinner, which makes it perfect for weeknights or some fast meal prepping! The boneless, skinless chicken breasts are flavored with lemon-pepper seasoning and cooked in a butter/oil combination that will create a delicious buttery sauce to pour over your lemon chicken and cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower.
Classic Lemon Chicken
Adapted from: a recipe from BHG
- 6 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves; approx 1-1/2 pounds (buy thin-cut breasts if you want to skip the pounding part)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning (or use 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper + 1 tsp lemon zest)
- 2 tbs butter, plus extra if needed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced very thin
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice from another lemon
Hot cooked cauliflower rice
- Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap or freezer paper. Pound lightly with a meat mallet (also called a batticarne) until each one is a uniform thickness; about 1/4″. Remove from the plastic and season with salt and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Melt the butter and oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook 3 of the chicken breasts about 3 minutes per side or until brown and no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet to a waiting dish and repeat with the remaining three breasts. Add another tbs of butter if the pan seems dry. Remove the remaining chicken breasts to the dish.
- Add lemon slices to skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Return all of the chicken to the skillet, overlapping chicken breasts if needed. Drizzle lemon juice over the chicken breasts. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until pan juices are slightly reduced.
- Serve the lemon chicken, lemon slices, and pan juices over hot cooked caulflower rice or mashed cauliflower.
Notes: A steamed green vegetable and a fresh green salad are perfect side dishes for Classic Lemon Chicken!
Photograph via BHG