Hey, What’s Cookin’?
This recipe, Fennel and Orange Salad, provides a welcome break from a typical lettuce-based side salad. Winter is over and springtime means we’re craving fresh, new tastes–which is exactly what this salad delivers!
Peppery arugula provides a flavorful base for sweet shredded carrots and crisp fennel slices, and a tangy citrus dressing brings all the fresh flavors together. Consider serving it with poached or baked salmon for a healthy light lunch or dinner!
Fennel and Orange Salad
Adapted from: a recipe from Stop&Shop
- 1 tbs shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed, crushed or ground
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh orange juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby or regular arugula
- 1 – 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup fresh fennel, thinly sliced (from 1 large bulb)
- 1 – 11 oz can mandarin oranges (canned in juice, not light syrup), drained
- pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- For the dressing: to a large bowl add shallot, fennel seed, oil, juice, honey and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Add arugula, carrots, and fennel to dressing; toss gently but thoroughly to combine.
- Divide salad among 4 serving plates. Top evenly with orange sections. Season with freshly ground pepper
to taste, and serve.
Notes: Steamed green beans would go particularly well with Fennel and Orange salad!
Photograph via Stop&Shop