Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Fast and delicious, Kale Crunch Salad gives you a new ingredient to enjoy–uncooked Brussels sprouts. While you may think you don’t enjoy this member of the cruciferous family when it is cooked, I think you will find fresh Brussels sprouts surprisingly tasty when raw. The kale, sprouts, and apple are wonderful with the Dijon vinaigrette and the crunchy sunflower seeds–give it a try!
Kale Crunch Salad
Adapted from: a recipe from Bon Apètit
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbs shallot, minced
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 oz washed and bagged baby kale,
- 6 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced (or buy pre-sliced sprouts; Trader Joe’s has them)
- 1 Gala apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Add garlic, shallot, Dijon, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add 1/3 cup oil, slowly pouring in a thin stream, whisking continuously to emulsify dressing. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the baby kale, the Brussels sprouts, and the apple. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss well. Taste and add extra salt/pepper if desired.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and sunflower seeds over dressed salad. Toss a few times more, and serve.
- Want to make Kale Crunch Salad a meal? Add a couple of soft- or hard-boiled eggs to your serving!
- Dressing and kale mixture (minus the apple) can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill until about 15 minutes before serving time. At that time, cut the apple & add it to the kale mixture, dress the salad, and serve.
Photograph via Bon Apètit