Hey, What’s Cookin’?
Caesar and Cherry Tomato Salad is our recipe for the week. It takes a classic salad and gives it a welcome twist with the addition of fresh, sweet cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes provide a wonderful contrast to the tangy dressing. And in this particular variation, the dressing does NOT require a raw egg. So it’s easy to make, delicious and worry-free!
The anchovies are absolutely necessary to provide umami, so don’t skip them. They have a mellower, richer flavor when packed in oil, so stay away from the water-packed version. Wrap any leftovers tightly in cling wrap, place in a sealed freezer container and freeze. You can thaw them out and use them when you’re ready to make another salad!
Caesar and Cherry Tomato Salad
Adapted from: various internet recipes
- 4 anchovies, packed in oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce; sliced crossways into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 oz parmesan cheese from a block (not from a can!)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, mash the anchovies with a fork. Next add the garlic, salt, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Finally, whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is completely blended.
- Arrange the lettuce and cherry tomatoes on a platter and drizzle with half the dressing,
- Using a coarse grater, grate the Parmesan over the entire salad. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Grind the black pepper over all, and serve.
Notes: If you want this salad to be your main dish, add a sliced avocado and 1 lb of shredded chicken to the salad in Step 3, before you add the remaining dressing.
Photograph via: Jim Wilson/NYT